Evan is turning 10 – and asks for donations instead of gifts.

by Todd on February 17, 2010

I am so proud of my son.

Ever since he was born on Leap Day in 2000 (2/29/2000), he has always been a sweet, caring boy.  But, this goes above and beyond.

Let me explain.

His 10th Birthday is coming up this week — and we’re throwing him a fun party at our house.  We’re inviting all of his classmates, the neighbor kids, family friends and more.  (Yeah, that’s a LOT of kids in our house.  Yikes!)

Instead of gifts, he’s asking for donations to benefit charity.

Yep.  A 10 year old wants to forgo receiving any fun toys (like his favorite video games, MP3’s, electronic gadgets) and asks, instead, that his friends bring a donation for charity.

Can you believe that?

He honestly wants people to bring donations for charity, and not get any gifts, so the charity gets it all.

Again, I say:  I’m so proud of my son.

And get this — Evan has done this before.

In fact, this will be his second year in a row collecting donations instead of gifts for his birthday.  Last year, at his 9th birthday party, he asked for donations to benefit the local food bank.  In our economy here in Michigan, these charities are really hurt, and they really appreciated his help.  (I think he raised a little over $300 and a ton of groceries.)  He’s hoping to really grow the donations this time.

This year, the local food bank will, once again, be the primary focus of his donations.  However, he wanted to add another charity for this year’s “birthday benefit party”:  The Haiti Earthquake Victims.

A few weeks ago, after seeing the news coverage of the earthquake victims in Haiti, he immediately told me, “Dad, for my birthday party this year, I want to also get donations for the Haiti Earthquake Victims.”

So, Evan’s 10th Birthday will benefit two charities.  The local food bank and the Haiti Earthquake Victims.

Everyone who’s coming to the party will be bringing a donation.  Food or cash for the local food bank (the “Northville Civic Concern”) or a monetary donation for the “Save the Children” organization, where all donations will be earmarked for Haiti Relief.

And, for our out-of-state friends, we’d like to ask that you consider making a donation in his name.  It would really make him feel extra proud of what he’s doing to know that you have helped him in this endeavor.  (If you do, please be sure to email me, or make a comment below so he can see all that good that has come of this!)

Happy Birthday Evan!

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Trisha Lyn Fawver February 17, 2010 at 8:55 pm

That is so awesome! Also, he shares a birthday with my husband… those leap year babies are something special for sure!

Haiko de Poel Jr February 18, 2010 at 8:37 pm

“Character is the sum and total of a person’s choices” and it looks Like Evan at the age of 10 is far richer than most double, triple or however many more times his age. You and Theresa have every reason to be proud!

Thank you for sharing this great effort and allowing us to be a small part of it.

Happy Birthday Evan!

Todd February 18, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Haiko – Thank you so very much for the generous donation. You are amazing. Seriously – thank you so much!

Eric D. Greene February 18, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Great! Evan is an inspiration!

Liz Vallespir (Miss Liz) February 20, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Todd and Theresa:

Congratulations. You are raising a selfless and heroic young man.

What kid gives up his birthday gifts to help others?

God bless, and way to go, Evan!

Todd February 20, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Liz – thanks for all your help in prep for the party, AND, the great donation! (I have more cotton candy to make before the rental expires — will send plenty of bags of sugar your way!) Thanks again. You’re a great neighbor.

Todd February 20, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Thanks, Eric! He’s so excited about this. In fact, a couple of the parents today told me that their kid now wants to do this for their birthday, too!

Deborah Carney February 20, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Todd, you and Theresa are doing something right :) It’s great when kids learn the value of giving and are able to inspire others to do the same.

(One of these days we’ll sit down and talk about some of the things Liz and her brothers did, today is Evan’s day :) )

Todd February 20, 2010 at 11:33 pm

Deb – thanks so much for the generous donation. This means so much to him (… and me- but this is his day, and his plan, so I thank you from him.). Thank you so much!

I look forward to learning about what Liz and her brothers did! Please do tell.

Lisa Pich February 21, 2010 at 10:22 am

Please tell Evan how very proud we are of him! He has always had such a kind heart and sweet spirit. I know he is going to do amazing things in this world. Good job parents!